Email marketing is still the king when it comes to digital outreach and engagement. It remains the leading driver of customer acquisition and retention, boasting an average return on investment (ROI) of 38:1.
However, to get anywhere near this number, influencers need to understand the intricacies of effective email marketing.
In this article, we will unravel email marketing best practices for influencers, equipping them with the knowledge and strategies necessary to harness the full potential of their email marketing efforts.
Join us as we delve into the world of email marketing, demonstrating how influencers can benefit from using email marketing tools to achieve remarkable results in the dynamic realm of digital influence.
Build an Engaged Subscriber List
To unlock the potential of email marketing, influencers must start by building a robust subscriber list. But let me tell you right off the bat – purchasing email lists is a big no-no.
Not only is it ineffective, but it can also damage your reputation, result in high unsubscribe rates, and potentially violate privacy regulations like GDPR and CAN-SPAM. Instead, focus on organic growth.
Here are some straightforward ways to do it:
- Leverage Website Sign-Ups: Make it easy for website visitors to subscribe. Place clear and enticing sign-up forms in strategic locations on your site, like the homepage or a dedicated sign-up page.
- Harness Social Media: Encourage your social media followers to join your email list. Share engaging posts about the benefits of subscribing and include a link to your sign-up page in your social media profiles.
- Offer Incentives: People love incentives. Provide a reason for them to subscribe, such as exclusive content, early access to your content, or special discounts. This sweetens the deal.
- Collaborate with Others: Partner with other influencers or businesses in your niche for cross-promotions. This can help you tap into a wider audience and gain new subscribers.
- Host Contests and Giveaways: Running email-exclusive contests or giveaways can be a fun way to encourage people to join your list. Just make sure the prizes are relevant to your audience.
Remember, a quality email list is your ticket to successful email marketing. By building it the right way, you’ll be in a prime position to connect with your audience and harness the full potential of email marketing tools.
Craft Compelling Subject Lines and Content
Creating captivating subject lines and engaging content is essential for successful email marketing as an influencer. The subject line serves as your email’s initial handshake, and making it count is crucial. In fact, about 47% of recipients decide to open emails based solely on this tiny but critical element.
To entice your subscribers, use subject lines that are intriguing, concise, and curiosity-piquing. A compelling subject line should offer a glimpse of what’s inside, encouraging readers to click and explore further.
But the intrigue doesn’t stop there. Once your email is opened, the content needs to hold your subscribers’ attention. This is your opportunity to deliver value. Create content that is engaging and concise, ensuring that every word serves a purpose.
Share personal stories to connect on a human level. Offer expert tips and insights to showcase your expertise and provide genuine value to your subscribers. When your audience finds consistent value in your emails, they’re more likely to keep coming back for more.
Optimize for Mobile
Optimizing emails for mobile devices is a must for influencers diving into email marketing.
Why, you may ask?
Well, consider this: in 2022 there were more than 4.26 billion email users worldwide. That number is forecast to grow to 4.73 billion by 2026.
But here’s the kicker: a recent study has found that 49% of all email opens happen on mobile devices. This means that nearly half of your recipients are likely to view your emails on their phones or tablets.
So, what can you do about it?
First, make sure your emails are mobile-friendly. This involves using a responsive design that adapts to different screen sizes.
A decent email marketing software like Mailvio packs a number of pre-built, responsive email templates that ensure your content looks great on a small smartphone screen or a larger tablet.
Next, you should make it a habit to keep your content concise and scannable. Mobile users tend to skim through their emails quickly, so break up your content into short paragraphs and use bullet points or numbered lists to make it easier to digest.
The bottom line is that optimizing emails for mobile improves user experience, making it more likely that subscribers will engage with your content. This, in turn, enhances your ability to connect with your audience effectively and boosts results in your email marketing efforts.
Personalize Your Emails to Boost Engagement
Here’s how you can put personalization into action:
Subscriber Data: Use the information you have about your subscribers to create tailored emails. This could include their name, location, or even their purchase history.
Personalized Greetings: Start your emails with a warm, personalized greeting using the recipient’s name. It shows that you’re talking directly to them.
Content Recommendations: Suggest content or products based on their past interactions with your brand. If they’ve shown interest in a particular topic, guide them towards more of it.
When your subscribers receive emails that resonate with their individual preferences, they’re more likely to open, read, and engage with your content.
It’s all about making your audience feel special and valued, ultimately forging stronger connections and reaping the benefits of higher open rates and improved email marketing success.
Use A/B Testing to Optimize Performance
Employing A/B testing is a powerful method for fine-tuning your email marketing efforts.
With this technique, you can experiment with various elements, like subject lines, email content, and the design of your call-to-action (CTA) buttons.
Small changes can lead to significant improvements. For instance, the web search engine Bing saw a 12% boost in revenue thanks to a simple A/B test.
So, how does A/B testing (also known as split testing) work?
The process is simple: you send two versions of an email to different segments of your audience – one is the original (A), and the other is a modified version (B). Like I said above, you might test different subject lines, CTA’s, or even images and the timing of your email.
Afterward, keep a close eye on the results. Measure open rates, click-through rates, and conversion rates for both versions. This allows you to see which approach resonates better with your audience.
By regularly conducting A/B tests and applying the insights you gain, you can continually optimize your email campaigns. It’s an ongoing process that helps you learn more about what works and what doesn’t for your specific audience.
This way, you can make data-driven decisions that lead to better-performing email marketing strategies.
Don’t Neglect Segmentation
One should never underestimate the power of segmentation in your email marketing strategy. It’s a vital element for delivering content that truly speaks to your audience.
Recent data indicates that segmented email campaigns achieve a 50% higher click-through rate compared to generic campaigns.
Here’s how you can put segmentation to work for you:
- Demographics: Divide your subscribers based on their characteristics, such as age, location, or gender. This enables you to target them with content that’s more in line with their specific interests and needs.
- Engagement: Segment your list by how engaged your subscribers are. Those who frequently open and click your emails might appreciate different content than those who are less active.
- Purchase History: If you’re selling products or services, segment your audience based on what they’ve bought in the past. You can then recommend related products or offer special deals based on their purchase history.
When you segment your email list, you’re essentially tailoring your messages to different slices of your audience. This increases the chances of your subscribers finding your content relevant and engaging. And that’s what leads to higher open rates, better click-through rates, and more successful email marketing campaigns.
Don’t overlook segmentation – it’s a game-changer in reaching and connecting with your audience effectively.
Monitor Metrics and Adjust Accordingly
Keeping a close eye on key metrics is essential to gauge the performance of your email marketing strategy.
Here are several email marketing KPIs you should definitely be monitoring to gain valuable insights into how well your campaigns are doing:
- Click-through rates measure the percentage of recipients who click on links in your emails, showing their interest in your content.
- Open rates reveal how many recipients actually open and view your emails, giving you an idea of your subject line and content’s effectiveness.
- Conversion rates indicate the number of subscribers who take the desired action, such as making a purchase or signing up for a newsletter.
- Unsubscribe rates show how many subscribers opt out of your emails, which can be a sign of disinterest or email fatigue.
To make your email marketing more effective, you need to regularly review these metrics. If click-through rates are low, it may be time to reconsider your content or calls to action. If open rates are lagging, think about improving your subject lines.
The key is to stay adaptable and responsive, ensuring that your email marketing efforts evolve to meet your audience’s changing needs and preferences.
Monitoring and adjusting according to these metrics will definitely lead to more successful and impactful email marketing.
Comply With Regulations
Staying compliant with email marketing regulations is crucial for influencers to maintain a positive and lawful online presence. Two significant regulations to be aware of are the CAN-SPAM Act and GDPR, depending on your audience’s location.
Here are some essential compliance guidelines:
CAN-SPAM Act (for U.S. senders):
- Include a valid physical postal address in your email.
- Make sure your subject lines are accurate and not misleading.
- Offer recipients a clear and simple way to opt out of future emails.
- Honor opt-out requests promptly, ideally within ten business days.
GDPR (for EU audience):
- Obtain explicit consent from individuals before sending marketing emails.
- Clearly explain how you plan to use their data and provide options for unsubscribing.
- Ensure data protection and encryption measures are in place.
Non-compliance with these regulations can lead to substantial fines and damage your reputation. It’s essential to prioritize consent, allowing subscribers to opt in willingly. Additionally, provide clear instructions on how they can opt out of your emails, making the process easy and straightforward.
In the world of digital influence, email marketing remains an invaluable asset, offering influencers a direct and personal avenue to connect with their audience, build trust, and grow their brand.
By following the email marketing best practices for influencers outlined in this article, influencers can maximize the impact of their email marketing efforts, from crafting compelling content and optimizing for mobile to the critical aspects of personalization, segmentation, and regulatory compliance.
But what if I told you there’s a seamless solution designed with influencers in mind?
Enter Mailvio, the perfect email marketing platform tailored to meet the unique needs of influencers. With its user-friendly interface and robust features, Mailvio simplifies the process, allowing influencers to focus on what they do best—connecting with their audience.
And here’s the best part: you can experience the power of Mailvio for yourself with a risk-free 7-day free trial. It’s time to elevate your digital influence, engage your audience, and achieve exceptional results with email marketing.
Don’t miss out—sign up for your free trial today and discover how Mailvio can take your influencer marketing to the next level. Your audience is waiting, and so is your success.
Vladimir is a passionate content writer and digital marketing enthusiast. With over 3 years of experience in the field, he loves sharing his insights on topics ranging from content marketing and SEO to social media strategy. When he’s not writing, you can find Vladimir exploring the great outdoors or experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen. Connect with him on LinkedIn to stay updated on his latest articles and adventures.